Milestone ID: 90
I have set aside time in March and April to work on a bigger update. I call it "Github Transition" for the most visible effect, though it will contain several major changes in the background. As soon as I am out of the conceptualization phase the issues of this milestone will move to Github, though.
Over the years I noticed these main problems:
- Running the indexing pipeline is too cumbersome. This has to be something that anyone should be able to do without much setup. A Kubernetes job seems appropriate, then we can also easily make a cron job.
- People do not integrate their research into args. I took the hand of a few people at some time and it worked well, but no one came of their own. I still believe in the idea of having people make their own service that annotates arguments and then we have a small connector in args. This has to be made even simpler. The deep inheritance I made seems to throw people off. Also the use of XSLT for then displaying the arguments. Also, people seem somewhat scared. The update needs to put the API first, GUI second. It has to be clear that people can integrate their stuff and make it show up in the API and that is fine. It has to be clear that integrating things into the GUI is a separate step.